Thursday, July 16, 2009

Summer Course Finale

Last Thursday, July 9th, I finished my course. It was an ordeal, with a lot of long hours in the final stretch. I thought I came up with a good idea for the problem I was assigned, but I have mixed feelings about it now. Still, I learned a lot. We had students from many subjects: music, physics, mathematics, and philosophy. It was overwhelming at times. It will take me some time to think through all the things I heard.

Thursday night I presented my project at a poster session. The next day, we went to an old church in Pisa to celebrate.


Poster session at CNR


Church reception. Some of you may recognize the CEO of the company that gave the course.


Katarina from Serbia/Boston and Michael from Vienna. Katarina's project was the most interesting: composing music by evolving cellular automata. Cellular automata are simple algorithms that the company's CEO studied a few decades ago.


Church dinner. I felt strange having such good food and drink in front of paintings of the crucifixion. But the Resurrection and Ascension were shown on other walls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home