Thursday, July 16, 2009

Senigallia and Beyond

I am visiting my relatives in Senigallia now: Luciana, my grandfather's cousin, her daughter Angela, and her husband Alfredo and daughter Francesca. Angela knows a little English but we both spend a lot of time using an English-Italian dictionary in order to find the right words. I'm learning a lot of Italian.

They are very nice people. Actually they're too nice; I feel guilty for all the time they are spending with me. Yesterday we went to Camerino, where Angela's grandmother, Anna, and her family had lived. We went to an old cemetery and saw her tomb. I am continually reminded of the key line from "Sunday Morning" by Wallace Stevens.

The East coast of Italy is more beautiful than Pisa and Florence, in my experience. There are a lot of mountains and rolling hills here.



One of Camerino's churches


This is where Angela's grandmother had lived.


A view of the countryside from Camerino.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home